Congratulations to Alan Hopes, Catholic bishop-elect of East Anglia
12 June 2013
Bishop Alan Hopes has spoken publicly about the importance of defending life and ending abortion
John Smeaton, SPUC's chief executive, has congratulated Alan Hopes, currently auxiliary bishop of the Catholic archdiocese of Westminster, upon his appointment as bishop-elect of East Anglia.
Bishop Hopes has given public witness to the sanctity of human life, of marriage and of the family, in particular supporting vigils outside abortion centres.
In a sermon Bishop Hopes gave in Westminster cathedral last November, he prayed "that those who are in power will seek to uphold the dignity of human life until the tragedy of abortion and assisted killing is no more; and to support and strengthen the family and the values of family life." [John Smeaton, 11 January]
- 40,000 march against abortion bill in Dublin [LifeSiteNews.com, 10 June]
- Government drags its feet for almost 18 months over investigating doctors in 14 NHS trusts who pre-signed abortion forms [Peter Saunders, 9 June]
- Brazilian evangelist leads tens of thousands against abortion outside National Congress [LifeSiteNews.com, 9 June]
- Irish government acting like totalitarian regime on abortion, say religious orders [Irish Times, 7 June]
- Belgium Parliament votes to allow doctors to euthanize children [LifeNews.com, 11 June]
- Burma: 2-child policy enforced against Muslims [Catholic Culture, 10 June]
- A million UK children are growing up without a father [Telegraph, 10 June]
- No greater calling in life than rescuing people from the brink of death, says HRH the Duke of Cambridge [Telegraph, 10 June]