Central London abortion centre to stop performing abortions
19 June 2013
BPAS will no longer be performing abortions in Bedford Square
The central London centre of the British Pregnancy Advisory Services (BPAS) is to stop performing abortions there. The abortions will now be performed at its recently-opened centre in Stratford, east London.
Daniel Blackman, a research and education officer of SPUC and a member of the 40 Days for Life London organising team from 2010 to 2012, said: "The news that BPAS will no longer be performing chemical abortions at its Bedford Square facility is to be welcomed. Special mention should be made of 40 Days for Life, Helpers of God's Precious Infants, and the Good Counsel Network, who have held prayer vigils outside the BPAS facility for a number of years.
"However, like the head of Hydra, BPAS opened a new facility in Stratford, East London in 2011. SPUC launched a vigorous campaign of opposition, working closely with local residents and pro-life groups. Sadly, BPAS Stratford is now open six days a week, with long opening hours, carrying out chemical and surgical abortions, ie, more abortion procedures than were offered at Bedford Square. It is situated on the ground floor of a residential block housing residents with complex needs, in an area with one of the highest abortions rates in the country.
"SPUC, together with others who want to offer protection for unborn children and their parents, will continue its campaign against BPAS." [Catholic Herald, 18 June]
- Abortion should not be used as a contraceptive, says Lord Steel, author of 1967 Act
- Fine Gael TD Brian Walsh says he cannot support Protection of Life in Pregnancy Bill [Pat Buckley, 19 June]
- Leader of pro-abortion unions likens pregnant Duchess to women "who have babies to get state handouts" [Telegraph, 18 June]
- Reilly concedes that abortion laws will mean more babies 'suffering damage' [Pat Buckley, 18 June]
- Fine Gael Senator will not support abortion law [Pat Buckley, 17 June]
- Only 5% of women regret being denied an abortion [LifeSiteNews.com, 14 June]
- FG rebels demand free vote on abortion to avoid exodus and Sinn Fein will apply party whip [Pat Buckley, 14 June]
- "I can't believe that the people of Poland and Ireland, once they understand what is happening, will not stand up in defense of human life", says US Cardinal Burke [Pat Buckley, 13 June]
- Notorious child killer seeks to starve himself to death [Sky, 17 June]
- Hitler's Struggle for Eugenics: Part II [SPUC youth blog, 17 June]
- Edmund Pellegrino, pioneering bioethicist, dies aged 92 [BioEdge, 15 June]
- Annual 'Climb for Life' in Ireland will be held on 22 June [Pat Buckley, 12 June]