Please respond to consultation on conscientious objection
1 June 2012
The General Medical Council (GMC) has issued new draft guidance for doctors on "Personal beliefs and medical practice".
The draft deals with the important issue of conscientious objection, and it seeks to control how doctors deal with requests for treatments which they do not in conscience provide, which may include abortion, IVF, contraception, the morning-after pill, or euthanasia.
There are serious flaws in the draft and doctor who hold pro-life values could be penalised or prevented from practising medicine as a result. Please respond to this consultation yourself and/or ask others (especially doctors). This consultation is being conducted online only.
Please visit: http://gmc.e-consultation.net/econsult/ and click on "Consultation on Personal beliefs and medical practice". You need to register to contribute but it is free to do so. The deadline for comments is 13 June 2012. (SPUC has published a guideline brief to help you respond to the questions in the consultation.)
- New abortion figures represent "bonanza" for private abortion sector
- Please sponsor mountain-climbers raising funds for SPUC
- Teachers at Salford school help girl pupil, 15, have abortion without telling her parents [Manchester Evening News, 1 June]
- Prince of Liechtenstein threatens to abdicate over abortion liberalisation [Tablet, 1 June]
- Sex-selection abortion ban draws majority support but fails in US House of Representatives [CNA, 1 June]
- Fr Kosmas, the "rubbish baby", is on fire for the unborn child [John Smeaton, 30 May]
- Liverpool doctor cleared of 'sex selection' baby accusations [Click Liverpool, 29 May]
- Guttmacher rattled by new Chilean study on maternal mortality [Pat Buckley, 28 May]
- Abortion is 'murder' for the purpose of population control, says Turkish prime minister [LifeSiteNews.com, 28 May]
- More Britons are paying Indian women to become surrogate mothers [Telegraph, 26 May]
- Pro-euthanasia activists gear up for fresh assault on Parliament [Peter Saunders, 31 May]
- Parents are happier than non-parents, suggests North American study [LifeSiteNews.com, 25 May]
- Nobody owns his life: An integral defence of life [LifeSiteNews.com, 30 May]
- SPUC Evangelicals present award to George Verwer, a humble pro-life hero [John Smeaton, 27 May]