SPUC calls for widespread resistance to Irish expert group abortion report
3 December 2012
"Ireland's politicians should be put on notice"
SPUC which was officially represented in the A, B & C case before the European Court of Human Rights, has called for "widespread resistance" to the report published by Ireland's Expert Group on abortion.
SPUC describes the report's recommendations as "unconstitutional" and "a door to mass abortion on a British scale".
John Smeaton, SPUC director, commented: "We call upon all people of good-will in Ireland, including the Catholic bishops, to back an all-out campaign to defeat - not just amend - any options allowing abortion. This will require widespread resistance to be mobilised.
"Ireland's politicians should be put on notice that they will lose their seats at the next election if they vote to legislate for abortion." [SPUC, 27 November]
- Please respond urgently to consultation on mitochondrial disease
- Head of European Parliament's women's committee pressures Ireland to legalise abortion [Irish Times, 1 December]
- Pro-abortion reporter says Savita story may be 'muddled' and there may be 'no request for a termination' [Life Institute, 2 December]
- Reporter claims that Irish Times "never suggested that a termination of pregnancy might have saved [Savita]'s life" [RTE, 3 December]
- Abortion and mental health - a psychiatrist's experience [Youth Defence, 1 December]
- Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) publishes terms of reference of Savita inquiry [BreakingNews.ie, 30 November]
- I receive a beautiful gift at meeting about new abortion clinic in Preston [John Smeaton, 30 November]
- Doctor charges governments with ignoring causes of infertility [CNA, 2 December]
- Islamic Sharia Council urges Muslims to lobby against presumed consent to organ donation [John Smeaton, 30 November]
- Why opinion polls supporting euthanasia are a waste of space [Peter Saunders, 1 December]
- RCGP Chairman Clare Gerada moves to gag doctors on 'assisted dying [Peter Saunders, 30 November]
- Obituary: Richard Wilkins, pro-life and pro-family champion [Pat Buckley, 3 December]
- Congratulations to MaterCare International founder Dr. Robert Walley [MaterCare International, 29 November]