Marriage & Family
The Society for the Protection of Unborn Children (SPUC) published a position paper on same-sex marriage following a resolution by SPUC's Council last month. SPUC has also made available today a background paper to be read in conjunction with the position paper and which provides some additional references and reflections. SPUC is the world's oldest pro-life lobbying and educational organisation, founded in 1967.
SPUC states that:
- Marriage - the permanent, exclusive union of one man and one woman - is the basis of the family, the fundamental group unit of society. Upholding marriage is therefore in everyone’s interests.
- Marriage as an institution protects children, both born and unborn. Statistics show that unborn children are much safer within marriage than outside marriage.
- Same-sex marriage lacks basic elements of true marriage e.g. the complementary sexual difference between spouses necessary for the procreation and healthy upbringing of children.
- Same-sex marriage represents an attempt to redefine marriage, thus undermining marriage. This undermining lessens the protection for unborn children which true marriage provides.
SPUC, in common with Anglican Mainstream, Catholic Church leaders in England and Wales, Family and Youth Concern, and other bodies, is working with the Coalition for Marriage (C4M) to oppose the British government’s plans to legalise same-sex marriage.*
The C4M has launched a petition which may have already been promoted in your local area, probably through local churches. It’s vital that the petition is a huge success. Let me know if you would further copies of the C4M petition or a poster.
TACKE ACTION NOW
- In order to defend real marriage successfully, we urgently need to reach everyone in the community. A copy of the new SPUC flyer on real marriage is reproduced below. Would it be possible for you to order copies of this flyer from SPUC and to give it out in the street where you live where you live or in a neighbouring street? The SPUC flyer urges members of the public to obtain and sign the C4M petition – and it urges them to respond to the government consultation.
- If, in addition, to giving out flyers in the street where you live, or in a neighbouring street, you’re in a position to organize a team of people to do the same thing – however small a team that may be – please let me know.
- Write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org so that I can send you the number of leaflets you require. You can also ask me for SPUC’s briefing on responding to the government’s consultation on same-sex marriage
SPUC same-sex marriage consultation document (coming soon)